Tumblr: How to add photos to reblog captions

It’s time for another audience question from my How to Use Tumblr video!

crimsonvipor asks “If I reblog something, how do I post a picture in the comments section (or Caption)?”

So the problem that we’ve got is that a normal text post has a link off to the side where you can upload photos, doing a reblog doesn’t give you that same link.

If you look at the toolbar, however, there is this green tree icon.

If I click on it, it’ll give me the option of posting a photo if I happen to have its URL.

But how do I get a URL when I can’t upload a photo? I could use a third party photo posting site like Flickr, but I want to keep all my Tumblr stuff together. That’s where this workaround comes in.

Let’s cancel out of this reblog and in the dashboard, I’m going to create a photo post. I’ll upload the photo that I want to add to my reblog, but instead of leaving this drop down menu in the top right set to “publish now,” I’m going to change it to a private post.

This way I can upload it to Tumblr, and it won’t appear in its own separate post. Click “Create Post” and that’ll save it.

Now the photo’s been uploaded, but I still don’t have a URL for it.

If I go to “Posts,” you can see it at the top, and it has the “Private” icon above it.

If I click on the image, I’ll get a bigger version. I can right click the image and select “Copy Image URL”. That’ll give me the URL.

BUT – If there’s a link underneath that says “High-Res ->” in small letters, it means Tumblr has resized the photo smaller so it will display in the dashboard.

If you’re happy with a smaller image, there’s no problem with getting the URL here, but I want the best possible resolution, so I’m going to click on the link and when it opens the image, I’m going to right click to “Copy Image URL.” That’ll give me a link to the full size image.

Back in the reblog screen, I’ll click on the little square tree icon and paste my URL into the first box in the popup window. The dimensions should automatically fill, but if you want to resize it to something else, you can make those changes here.

The image will appear in the text box, and if I go to preview it, I can see my image in the reblog caption.

This entry was posted in Tutorials, Videos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

12 Comments

1. Posted July 26, 2011 at 8:56 am | Permalink

on the tool bar, I don’t have that green tree icon. So when I click on upload photo, it only showes the link instead of the actual photo! what happened?

2. Roonil Wazlib
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much! This is the most helpful how-to on this I’ve seen so far:)

3. Posted February 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

so i clicked the +Upload picture and picked my picture but when i clicked create post, it didnt show up. so i tried clicking the tree and putting the image url in but when i clicked enter the entris just blanked out, as if i had clicked refresh instead. wtf. and my captions never show up for any pictures and when i upload more then one pic, it gets cutt off

4. Kate
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

This doesn’t work.

5. Bella
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

That doesn’t work, because there’s no way to copy the URL

6. Jessica
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Very helpful!! Thanks so much!

7. Tripps
    Posted July 7, 2012 at 3:50 am | Permalink

where do i see the pic to copy url after i upload it in private?

8. jo
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

except there IS no tree button… or ANY.

9. Posted September 23, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

This doesn’t work, because there is no tree icon and there is no private icon. I have tried on Firefox and Internet Explorer. No tree icon, which is probably the important part. Help!

10. Guinevere
    Posted October 23, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Thank you so much!!! This really helped!

11. Hey
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 11:57 am | Permalink

This worked perfectly until copying the URL. When I right click there is no option which allows me tio copy the URL.
    Anyway. This was very helpful. I loved how well it was presented. :)

12. KBunny
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 2:16 am | Permalink

for the people asking for help because they can’t find the tree. it could also be a camera icon with a infinate loop indicating link. also, when I right clicked the image, “copy image URL” didn’t show up either. what you can do is right click, and go to “view image info”. this will pop up a window. it will have the web address, location, type, size, dimensions. copy what follows after location into the Image URL box. hoped I helped a few of you.