Your Tumblr Questions Answered

Since I first put up my How to use Tumblr video in September, there’s been an amazing response, and I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who watched and commented. I hope it’s been useful to you.

That said, a couple people have asked some questions that I felt deserved a bit more elaboration than I could give in the comments.

Hibari9420 asked “Can I post a youtube video? but I want it to be in the middle of the article :S”

This is a situation where Tumblr’s separation of post types by media actually makes things more complicated than they need to be. Go to the watch page of the Youtube video you want and press the “Embed” button.

This will bring up a box with the embedding HTML code and some various options for the size you want it to be. I’ll just leave it at the default setting and copy the code. In Tumblr, create a text post. I’m going to give this one a title and put some text in the post that I want above and below the video. Now press the “HTML” button in the toolbar – this will allow you to edit the HTML source code of the blog post.

HTML is the language of the web – it’s these bracket tags that determine how the text in the post will be formatted. The “p” tag just separates these two sentences into two paragraphs. Since we want the Youtube video to go in between the paragraphs, I’m going to paste in between the lines here.

Press “Update” and that will bring you back to the edit screen, and if you did it right that will show the video. Just to make sure, press “Preview” and make sure it’s formatted how you want it to be.

thedevo01 asked “Can you use CSS and HTML formatting for the layout and themes on Tumblr?”

Absolutely. I’ve just told you in the last question how to edit the HTML for a single post, but if you want to edit the Theme itself, by go to the Customize screen and select Theme. Press the “Use Custom HTML” button.

That will bring up the source of the theme which you can edit. Press the “Theme Docs” button for additional info and documentation.

xxkatiekatsxx asked “how do you write on someone elses tumblr page?”

There’s actually a bunch of ways that you can write something on someone’s else’s Tumblr blog, but almost all of them require the person who owns the blog to change some kind of permission first. You’ll need to see if they’ve turned on any of the following Tumblr features:

Option #1 – Let people submit posts. This option means that someone other than the owner of a Tumblr blog can submit a post. The owner of the blog needs to check “Let people submit posts” in the Community menu on the Customize screen.

Then visitors can go to their url /submit to write a post.

The blog owner has to authorize the post before it shows up.

Option #2 – Allow people to comment on posts. Unlike most other blog platforms, there is no native commenting system in Tumblr. The owner of the Tumblr blog needs to set up a Disqus account by visiting disqus.com. Click “Sign up” and enter in your Tumblr URL and the name of your blog. The “Site shortname” is a unique identifier that’s our main concern in setting this up for Tumblr. It needs to be all one word, no spaces. If you don’t already have a Disqus account, you’ll also have to create an Administrator login underneath. Once you’ve gone past this screen, you can turn on any of Disqus’ optional features. I’ll just leave these at the default setting for now. Now back in the Customize screen of my Tumblr blog, I’ll need to go to the “Appearance” menu. Depending on what Theme you have set up, you may have to scroll to the bottom to get to this. My theme doesn’t have any options for this menu, so all I’ve got is a box to add my Disqus shortname. I’ll enter that and save it.

Now when I go back to my blog, I can see a place noting how my comments my posts have gotten. If I look at the post itself and scroll to the bottom, you can see the box where my readers can add comments.

Option #3 – Allow people to reply to posts. Replies are a fairly new and fairly obscure feature in Tumblr. In order to turn them on, the owner of the blog needs to check one of the available options in the Community menu on the Customize screen. Once these options are turned on, anyone who meets requirements can reply to posts from Dashboard.

This feature is only available in Dashboard and not from the blog itself. When you do submit your reply, it will appear in the notes of the post.

This entry was posted in Tutorials, Videos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

50 Comments

1. Posted January 22, 2012 at 2:14 am | Permalink

this girl messaged me and said that when she goes to my blog and clicks a picture she wasnts to reblog there is no reblog button, so i went to my blog and clicked on a picture and there isnt a reblog button, any idea how i can fix this? thanks for the help (:

2. Posted January 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Please help. I recently changed the theme to my tumblr. I had a minimal one and switched to another free one. I got it the way I liked, but when it saved, all of my posts vanished from my site. There’s nothing on the help section about it. Any idea what’s going on? Please let me know!

3. Posted January 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

What do i do when some of my pictures on my tumblr page are showing up, but some of them arent?

4. Posted January 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

What do i do to make sure that all my tumblr pictures show up onto my page? like it was fine before, but this past week some of my pictures show up and some dont. No matter where i log in from the same thing happens. Please help.
    Thanks!

5. Sarah
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

is there a way to arrange your posts on tumblr so that the first post you make is always at the top. Rather than them running from your most recent post down to your first?

I know you can do this on blogspot but not sure if you can on tumblr.

6. Sarah
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

down to your last that shouldve said. oops

7. Saladinho
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Hi, do you know how to post picture’s of someone’s tweet to your tumblr? I’ve seen it done before, and I sometimes find funny, or intelligent tweets I’d like to post to my page, instead of just quoting them.

Thank you!

8. Posted January 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

hi, i just want to know how you make your name turn blue so when you comment on something people can go to your page

9. Posted January 28, 2012 at 1:17 am | Permalink

i wanted to change my background with images obey/supreme ect. but i couldnt find a good one so i searched it up i got the image url and set it as my background but now you cant see my post i dont know why, the top my page says “this text is in the center of the page
    now you can get more technical and use css in your page: this text is centered with a repeating background behind it. Source(s):” what do i do?

10. Posted January 28, 2012 at 10:19 am | Permalink

hey so i keep finding these great themes that have a single column and big pictures and a box for my description on the side, but when i reblog a photo and write something on it, whatever i write doesn’t show up below the photo on my profile. i was wondering if there was a code for it to put in my HTML.
    thanks so much it would help a lot!

11. chloe
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 1:44 am | Permalink

everytime people go onto my blog on tumblr, it asks them to log in again to confirm they are over 18!?!!? how do i turn that off, there is NOTHING innapropiate on my blog!

12. Posted February 2, 2012 at 9:35 am | Permalink

When people ask me questions or answer mine they dont come to my inbox. I selected the unified option. It still wont work! please help!

13. Evelyn
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

On Google Chrome, Tumblr won’t let me log out and it won’t let me log into my other account. Please help

14. annika
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

You know the decription box that you can change when you go into the ‘customize blog’ mode? Well, I’ve seen people’s descriptions going one word per
    line
    this.

How do I do that? (I’ve tried hitting the enter key already)

15. Cindy
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Lately I’ve been having truble posting things. My post’s title shows up but the text below doesnt…how do i fix this?

16. Posted February 10, 2012 at 7:05 am | Permalink

hey, i recently changed my theme on tumblr, but my last one had that “feature”: when you clicked on the picture for example (that i reblogged) the permalink showed up. my new theme: when i click on a picture on my blog, a new page with the permalink and the notes doesn’t show up, it just shows up where the picture is from. so when anybody is on my blog, nobody can reblog my posts for example. i hope you understood that… somehow?
    Please help! 🙂

17. Lucy
    Posted February 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Why does a sign saying..
    Sorry!
    You need to verify your email address before you can access this feature. Would you like us to resend the link?
    Its stopping me form sending messages, how can I send messages?

18. Posted February 11, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

How do you make the tagged pictures on tumblr only go to the tagged page instead of you actual page?

19. Posted February 13, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Whenever I type on the reblog, it goes under someone else’s stripe/line. Is it supposed to do that? And how do I make it so it shows that I put that comment?

20. Posted February 15, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

i reblogged a lott of pictures on tumblr and they dont so how do you get them back?

21. Posted February 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Everytime i try to ask someone a question the ask box tell me that ‘This Feature is Not Available Yet! PLease Check Again in the Future”. I’m not able to ask questions today, but i could last night:(

22. Andrea
    Posted February 21, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

So just today, i tried to create a text post. i type whatever it was.. but then when i hit ‘create post’ and it directs me back to my dashboard.. my text post is just blank.. no matter what i write, it never shows up.. And it’s the same problem when i try to answer my asks.. i type my answer, hit publish or whatever but my answer is not there.. the question is there.. but my answer is blank. Why is it doing this, & how do i fix it?? 🙁

23. Lily
    Posted February 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I recently changed my theme and I realized that random text appeared at the very top of my page (above the title). It is frusterating because I don’t know why it’s there or how to get rid of it.. help please!!

24. Meegan
    Posted February 26, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

i just made a new tumblr, i have tumblr and know how to use it all fine, but when i made this one and go to customise my blog it says : ‘We need you to verify your email address by clicking the link we sent.’
    what does this mean ?

25. Meag
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Every time I try and post something the title pops up but the message I type doesnt! I’ve seen atleast two other people on here with the same issue and its been happening to me for almost a month! The same sort of this happens when I post images to, I’ll upload the picture and want to put a caption but the caption does show up! this is starting to get rediculous and i’ve trid making a new account but the same thing happens could it jsut be my computer doing this?

26. Posted March 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

PERFECT instructions! It’s like you read my mind. 🙂 Thanks!

~ Adriana

27. Posted March 7, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

PLEASE HELP !!! I had a tumblr for a while, but i’m just starting to use it. When I see other people’s pages, including my friends, all of there pictures and etc have multiple pages and have arrows at the bottom so you can go to the next one the next page. When i go to my page it just scrolls down and does not make it look good. Please tell me how i can change it to look like theirs! Thank you.

28. Posted March 10, 2012 at 7:20 am | Permalink

Why is my tumblr making posts by itself ?? -___-

29. Eryn
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

My tumblr theme will not change. I know how to change it, and clicked “edit html”, then paste all the information for my new theme, but when I click update the picture does not change, and my theme will not change. Any suggestions ?

30. Jason
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 3:46 am | Permalink

How do I get my pictures taken down from someone’s tumblr page?

31. Kennedy
    Posted March 25, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

how do i link my boyfriends tumblr on mine? like have it say my boyfriend but when you click on it it goes to his tumblr

32. Davinia
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the post on embedding videos within a text post very helpful, I knew there was a way that you could do it but just never knew how.

33. Posted April 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

my friends tumblr is just one page and and u just have to scroll down and mine is lots of pages how do i make mine like hers when i asked her she didnt know sooo…. can u help please 🙂

34. Posted April 6, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Okay, I went to Cherrybam.com to get my theme and when I put in the html code and everything it looked really nice but just one problem, in the description box where you can write things about yourself there’s this long paragraph of words that the website obviously put in themselves but I can’t get rid of them! 🙁 Please help me ? D:

35. Adriana
    Posted April 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

So i posted a picture up and it had said that only 2 people had reblogged/liked it and i was like ok that’s fine. Then i clicked the one person that reblogged it and saw that on their tumblr it has over 10 likes/reblogs and comments. I was a bit confused since i’m the one who posted it and they were the one taking credit for posting it since it also said that this person had blogged it. Obviously this is bothering me since i’m sitting here with like no one comming to my blog and some one else getting the credit. This is the second time that this has happened. So i was wondering if it’s maybe something that the other person put on their blog page so that the other people can’t get to mine or for me to be notified when someone likes/reblogs it. Can you explain please? 🙂

36. Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:17 am | Permalink

I had no problem changing my theme for my tumblr, but now whenever I try to, it always has this litte, white box in the middle of my screen and it has this button you can click on it says “Ok.” But no matter how many times I click on it, it never goes away, and it won’t let me change my theme, it’s really irritating.

37. Posted April 16, 2012 at 8:41 am | Permalink

I Liked your video but, Im STILL Confused i have mobile and i need to know how to add someone if they put their link and url on facebook i open it but than i dont see the add button :/ Pleaseeeeeeeee help !

38. Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

basically i changed my theme, everything was fine when i was custimised it but all my pics and posts i have reblogged and posted have disappeared :/ please help 🙁 i don’t know what to do…

39. Posted April 26, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

when i go on my tumblr none of my pictures show up? PLEASE HELP!

40. marisol
    Posted May 16, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

can someone help me?…..so on my blog my posts keep repeating, like i can post a certain amout and when you scroll down insted of showing the rest of the posts ive posted the previous post repeat…what can i do?

41. kairi
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I noticed some people are able to put links when they are asking someone a question. How come I can’t do that?

42. alomdbc
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 1:55 am | Permalink

how can u upload a video form your computer to someone else’s blog? like submit them i guess, but by uploading them… thx.

43. Posted May 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Upload to youtube, then follow my directions in part 1 about how to paste the embed code in. There’s no way (that I know of) to upload directly.

44. Caroline
    Posted May 27, 2012 at 8:32 am | Permalink

How can you post a picture and a text on someone else’s blog? There is this shipping thing with one direction and You post a pic of you and some things about you. And I’ve tried an I can’t do it? By the way I have an iPod.

45. Tori
    Posted June 11, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I sent someone a message but forget to go anon, I quickly deactivated my acount, will she recieve the message?

46. Alexis
    Posted June 14, 2012 at 12:54 am | Permalink

This didn’t help me at all.. -.- so I still can’t post a comment on anyone’s tumblr. :/

47. Posted June 22, 2012 at 2:48 am | Permalink

When i go on my posts on tumblr. it never tells me what people have reblogged. But I know people are reblogging my things, because a few of the blogs i check out regularly reblog my things all the time, and i can see that it is via my blog. How do i make it so that i can see what everyone is reblogging from me??

48. Kelly
    Posted June 23, 2012 at 1:28 am | Permalink

I’m soooo frustrated. I wanted to change the theme of my main blog on tumblr, but instead created a new one.
    Long story short, I want my primary blog to be the same as an additional, meaning changing the theme, etc.
    I CAN NOT FIND THE “edit html” button to save my life.
    It’s like it doesn’t exist on my tumblr or something.
    They all say it’s underneath the theme…but mine is no where to be found.
    PLEASE HELP ♥

49. Posted June 23, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

i went to add music to my tumblr page, but my HTML isn’t showing! so i cant paste my music on. PLEASE HELP ME, i had music before, but i changed my theme, so my music erased ): i upgraded my music, and now the HTML doesn’t even show? please help me! i dont know what to do.

50. Posted June 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Permalink