Your Tumblr Questions Answered

Since I first put up my How to use Tumblr video in September, there’s been an amazing response, and I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who watched and commented. I hope it’s been useful to you.

That said, a couple people have asked some questions that I felt deserved a bit more elaboration than I could give in the comments.

Hibari9420 asked “Can I post a youtube video? but I want it to be in the middle of the article :S”

This is a situation where Tumblr’s separation of post types by media actually makes things more complicated than they need to be. Go to the watch page of the Youtube video you want and press the “Embed” button.

This will bring up a box with the embedding HTML code and some various options for the size you want it to be. I’ll just leave it at the default setting and copy the code. In Tumblr, create a text post. I’m going to give this one a title and put some text in the post that I want above and below the video. Now press the “HTML” button in the toolbar – this will allow you to edit the HTML source code of the blog post.

HTML is the language of the web – it’s these bracket tags that determine how the text in the post will be formatted. The “p” tag just separates these two sentences into two paragraphs. Since we want the Youtube video to go in between the paragraphs, I’m going to paste in between the lines here.

Press “Update” and that will bring you back to the edit screen, and if you did it right that will show the video. Just to make sure, press “Preview” and make sure it’s formatted how you want it to be.

thedevo01 asked “Can you use CSS and HTML formatting for the layout and themes on Tumblr?”

Absolutely. I’ve just told you in the last question how to edit the HTML for a single post, but if you want to edit the Theme itself, by go to the Customize screen and select Theme. Press the “Use Custom HTML” button.

That will bring up the source of the theme which you can edit. Press the “Theme Docs” button for additional info and documentation.

xxkatiekatsxx asked “how do you write on someone elses tumblr page?”

There’s actually a bunch of ways that you can write something on someone’s else’s Tumblr blog, but almost all of them require the person who owns the blog to change some kind of permission first. You’ll need to see if they’ve turned on any of the following Tumblr features:

Option #1 – Let people submit posts. This option means that someone other than the owner of a Tumblr blog can submit a post. The owner of the blog needs to check “Let people submit posts” in the Community menu on the Customize screen.

Then visitors can go to their url /submit to write a post.

The blog owner has to authorize the post before it shows up.

Option #2 – Allow people to comment on posts. Unlike most other blog platforms, there is no native commenting system in Tumblr. The owner of the Tumblr blog needs to set up a Disqus account by visiting disqus.com. Click “Sign up” and enter in your Tumblr URL and the name of your blog. The “Site shortname” is a unique identifier that’s our main concern in setting this up for Tumblr. It needs to be all one word, no spaces. If you don’t already have a Disqus account, you’ll also have to create an Administrator login underneath. Once you’ve gone past this screen, you can turn on any of Disqus’ optional features. I’ll just leave these at the default setting for now. Now back in the Customize screen of my Tumblr blog, I’ll need to go to the “Appearance” menu. Depending on what Theme you have set up, you may have to scroll to the bottom to get to this. My theme doesn’t have any options for this menu, so all I’ve got is a box to add my Disqus shortname. I’ll enter that and save it.

Now when I go back to my blog, I can see a place noting how my comments my posts have gotten. If I look at the post itself and scroll to the bottom, you can see the box where my readers can add comments.

Option #3 – Allow people to reply to posts. Replies are a fairly new and fairly obscure feature in Tumblr. In order to turn them on, the owner of the blog needs to check one of the available options in the Community menu on the Customize screen. Once these options are turned on, anyone who meets requirements can reply to posts from Dashboard.

This feature is only available in Dashboard and not from the blog itself. When you do submit your reply, it will appear in the notes of the post.

This entry was posted in Tutorials, Videos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

149 Comments

1. Posted May 24, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Hi,

I just signed up for a Tumblr blog and I’m customizing it. I embedded the feed onto a page on my website and it’s working. The only problem is that if I post an image it sends this massive image over to my website. I changed the height/width on my site so now it’s just chopping off parts of these massive photos.

I just want to post the titles of the various blogs on a feed on my website, not any of the content of the blog. Do you know how to make it do that? Just post the titles?

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. Posted May 30, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

In the “Services” menu, you can set it to import the RSS feed as “Links.” I believe that should just import the title and include a link to it.

3. stina
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 1:44 am | Permalink

i want people to be able to reply to my text posts but i dont have the checkbox thing saying something like ‘let people reply” i only have “let people photo reply”. help!!

4. Posted June 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Tumblr was redesigned, and that option has been moved. Click your blog’s name at the top, then click Settings in the submenu underneath.

5. Posted July 29, 2011 at 8:01 am | Permalink

how do i let people reply on my post. when i create a text post the only thing showing is “let people photo reply this”..so ho can i let people reply to my post?

6. angelos
    Posted August 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

fantastic! thanks!

7. Posted August 18, 2011 at 4:30 am | Permalink

My theme on tumblr doesn’t show the writing under the videos or pictures that I reblog from other people,it shows the picture or it shows the video but it does not show what I write under it,is there something I need to remove from my html code? Please it would mean a lot of you could get back to me as soon as possible <3

8. Posted August 18, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

For reblogs, you don’t need to do anything to the code, just write your comments in the caption.

9. Sylvie
    Posted August 29, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Hey, I was wondering whether you’d know the HTML code I could add to my custom Tumblr theme that would allow people to repost my posts. For some reason, clicking on my posts neither enlarges the photos of my original posts nor follows the link back to the origin of something that I’ve reposted on my wall. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and yes, I am new to Tumblr :)

10. kit
    Posted August 30, 2011 at 8:10 am | Permalink

hi :) how do i make my reblog comment visible on notes ,where on the notes it would appear as
    ” userA reblogged this from user B and added : such and such comment ”
    rather than just ” userA reblogged this from userB”

thanks !

11. Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I just installed disque on my tumblr ! but still can;t see any comments bar ! how can people comment on my post?

12. Wt
    Posted September 7, 2011 at 7:05 am | Permalink

HI, i have a serious problem.
    Whenever i want to “ask” my follower, it says that “Sorry, we seem to be having technical trouble. Please try again later. ”
    I can’t ask people or even write them a message. This has occur since i created tumblr. What am i suppose to do?

13. Petert
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Im trying to use an image as my title for my tumblr and I get it to work but when i try to save it it ask me to enter a title in the info menu which I do not want. How do I bypass that?

14. Posted September 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

As far as I know you can’t bypass the theme and use an image as your title without some pretty serious CSS. If you’ve gotten that far, you probably know more than me. :)

15. Posted September 29, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

I just created my account a couple days ago and am trying to learn the ropes. I am wondering, is there a way to limit the body of a text post to only the first five lines or the first paragraph unless someone clicks on the entry? I made a fairly long post that is multiple paragraphs long, and I would like to keep my main page more condensed than that. Thanks!

16. Posted October 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I am new to Tumblr and have tried over and over to change the title of my page. I have followed the directions in the help section which say change the title under the “Settings” tab, but there is no option there. When I attempt to “Customize” it allows me to enter the new title and description, Once I hit “Save” I get the message that it is “saving” but no changes are ever saved and I am stuck with “Untitled” as the title. YUCK! Can you help?

17. Posted October 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

If it’s not saving the title that you’re entering in the customize screen, it’s probably a bug. I can’t help you, but you can email support@tumblr.com

18. Courtney
    Posted October 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Okay, I know I’m an idiot, but I just want to embed a video in the middle of a tumblr text post and can’t seem to do it for the life of me.

19. Posted October 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Hi, I just started using the Bricks theme by Max Davis for my first tumblr page. I am completely new to tumblr, and I’m having some troubles with my page. It has reposted some of my earliest posts on my page, although I only submitted them once, and all of my posts, although originally aligned, are now off-center, and placed at the right of the screen. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to save new settings on tumblr but none of my customizations are saving. I’m really frustrated and about to delete my page that took me a long time to make. Can someone help me?

20. Posted October 17, 2011 at 3:29 am | Permalink

my customize options do not include ‘appearance’ so I cannot change my sidebar. and it won’t let me change my about me. it won’t save anything. please help?

21. Line
    Posted October 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Why can’t I see, my notes on tumblr.
    I can see the notes on the one I reblogged, and I can see there is some some notes, but when I press notes nothing comes up, and the only thing standing is the text ‘ hide notes’ ..
    please help

22. Destiny
    Posted October 22, 2011 at 12:47 am | Permalink

I signed up for tumblr recently and when i tried to sign back in it says that it isn’t the correct email. i tried 2 of my emails and it says both aren’t registered yet if i look for my page its there.
    Please help

23. Terry
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 3:01 am | Permalink

Hey there how do i do a separate page on my blog for my answered questions for tumblr?
    Thanks :)

24. alex
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

…There isn’t an embed button, what do i do now?

25. Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:12 am | Permalink

I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did, but here goes. I used one of the themes that Tumblr offers and I’m sure there is something in the html code that I’m missing, but here is what I am having trouble with…

When I do any type of post I want to be able to change the font/color/etc of certain words, but it won’t allow me to. I know I’m using the html codes correctly to change the font/color/etc, but when I hit submit the html codes show up in the post and doesn’t change anything. Around the outside of my profile the color and font changes works, but just not inside the actual posts.

26. Posted October 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

okay so i have a had tumblr for a while and i re-blogged a post and not knowing what it would do it made my tumblr really small and in the corner of my page :$ i want to know what i can do to make it go back bc i really hate how it is! HELP PLEASE!!!

27. Courtney
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

I have 2 blogs and when i reblog stuff to my secondary blog it shows up as my primary blogs name: reblogged…. how do i change that?
    Example my main blog is Omyfantastic and my other is Suju addicts so when i reblog and set it to post to suju addicts it shows up as saying omyfantastic reblogged whatever it is i posted even though it only shows up on my second blog and not my main.

28. lilly
    Posted October 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

is there any way of seeing clearly when someone replies to the questions you put in their ask without having to search through your dash?

29. Posted October 30, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Hello-
    I have a group with a tumblr page. We want to let anyone make posts–even if they are not signed up w/tumblr—without us having to approve it. I already approved Ask me Anything and Sumbit, but it has to be approved by a moderator, defeating the whole purpose of a community blog.

Thank you!

30. Tiffany
    Posted November 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Hi,

I’m trying to change the language setting on Tumblr (just signed up) and it won’t let me. Any ideas? I’m located in France, but prefer to work in English (my native tongue) if possible. I’ve already contacted support, but who knows how long that will take….

Thanks

31. Posted November 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

um, for my custom html tumblr theme, my title & description isn’t showing up. help please?

obtw- im kinda new on tumblr so can anyone here follow me? i follow back, ALWAYS.
    sweettemptationx3.tumblr.com
    thanks.

32. stephanie
    Posted November 10, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

hey there,
    when i go to customize my tumblr page, it does not allow me to scroll down. the customize page doesnt even have the scroll bars. i wanted to use a code for a theme, but i cant scroll.
    any idea on why this is happening?
    -or- how can i fixt his problem?

thank you!
    stephanie.

33. Jackie Soto
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I have two blogs, one I don’t use, and the other I do. The one I don’t use is the blog you first get when you start using Tumblr.
    When I submit things to a person’s Tumblr, how do I change what blog I’m submitting from?

34. aSDF
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

i have a question! please help! im on google chrome, and the follow button thats supposed to be on my top right corner isnt there! :/

35. Gabby
    Posted November 20, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

i have the same problem as stephanie , where on my customise page is wont let me scroll down and everything repeatedly freezes
    does anyone know how to help me?
    xo

36. Tessa
    Posted November 22, 2011 at 12:14 am | Permalink

I changed my text and title font color to a certain red, and clicked save (multiple times) and then when I go back and look at my blog, no text shows up at all, my description nor my title. I don’t know why it’s doing that but I don’t know how to fix it. Please give me some suggestions?

37. anon
    Posted November 24, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    On Tumblr I just downloaded the free theme titled Booky. I scroll down to change the title colour and the link text colour. I click on the coloured box, and a pop-up showing the colour selection shows. I choose the desired colour but it does not change on the box! There’s no OK button and if I click the X it still doesn’t work! Help!

38. Kristy
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

ahoy there.
    i’d like to know how can you put your ‘about me’ section onto the top of your page, instead of it being to the right sidebar?

39. Deion Powell
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

I am so confused how come my dashboard is missing some things like the info apperance, services, communites and etc. It is not on my dashboard and I am having problems with the background. I want my background to be like all blue or black I don’ t know how to make it that please HELP ME

40. Posted December 5, 2011 at 3:32 am | Permalink

can someone help me, my tumblr says i need to be 18 years or older to go on to my blog.i think it is a virus..now my blog is not showing my posts..i have already changed my password and it hasnt changed my blog. please help

41. Allison
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 12:10 am | Permalink

All i want to do is sign up for tumblr. every time i try a screen pops up with the message “we couldn’t find the page you were looking for”. it’s getting extremely frustrating, what can i do?

42. Posted December 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

When using google chrome, tumblr will not allow me to see the follow, like, reblog and dashboard buttons on peoples profiles.
    I need serious help, I’m sick of having to uninstall and redownload google chrome.
    So if anyone knows how to fix this please help me.

43. sophie
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Hiya, for some reason my descroption has disapered on my blog and when i click costomize i noticed it was unticked so i tick it and press save but it doesnt save and when i click costomize again i see that it is still unticked even though i have ticked it. please help its for a business. thanks.

44. Posted January 2, 2012 at 10:02 am | Permalink

How do I arrange the reblogs on my page? Right now, when you go to my profile, you have to scroll up and down to view the images. They are in a column. I was hoping I could have them randomly scattered about the page. How do I do that?

45. Hanna Hale
    Posted January 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Hi, Ive been on Tumblr for a year or so now and I know how to work it and all but I recently started a new blog on a new account but I cannot use anyones ask box, help! All that I get is a Tumblr notice saying: ‘sorry! this feature is not available at the moment please check back later’ This has been happening for a few weeks now, is there anything I can do? Or do I have to delete my account and start all over again?

Many thanks, Hanna :)

46. Posted January 8, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

why is my tumblr telling me i need to be 18 years to enter my blog is this some kind of spam, because i put in my pass and email then i reccently started getting tumblr spam everywhere! ]: is it because i put my email and pass into the 18 to enter thing? please help, thx.

- peace,love,tumblr

47. Posted January 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

So I made a ‘me’ page by clicking add page, and added /tagged/me. I tried it out, and tagged a picture as ‘me’, but when I go to my blog and click on the page, it doesn’t show up.

Am I doing something wrong?

48. kate
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Hi there,
    I am new to Tumblr and still learning how it all works.

A lot of my friends have asked me to how they can ‘follow’ my tumblr blog, if they don’t have a tumblr account – is this possible? I don’t want people to have to sign up to tumblr just to follow my blog – is there a way around this?

Thanks so much,
    Kate

49. Posted January 21, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

My blog isn’t showing my any of my posts from my past, but I can see them from my dashboard and I can see them in my archive. What glitch do I fix to make them visible on my blog?

50. Posted January 21, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

How can I elongate my “following” box on my tumblr theme?