Your Tumblr Questions Answered

Since I first put up my How to use Tumblr video in September, there’s been an amazing response, and I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who watched and commented. I hope it’s been useful to you.

That said, a couple people have asked some questions that I felt deserved a bit more elaboration than I could give in the comments.

Hibari9420 asked “Can I post a youtube video? but I want it to be in the middle of the article :S”

This is a situation where Tumblr’s separation of post types by media actually makes things more complicated than they need to be. Go to the watch page of the Youtube video you want and press the “Embed” button.

This will bring up a box with the embedding HTML code and some various options for the size you want it to be. I’ll just leave it at the default setting and copy the code. In Tumblr, create a text post. I’m going to give this one a title and put some text in the post that I want above and below the video. Now press the “HTML” button in the toolbar – this will allow you to edit the HTML source code of the blog post.

HTML is the language of the web – it’s these bracket tags that determine how the text in the post will be formatted. The “p” tag just separates these two sentences into two paragraphs. Since we want the Youtube video to go in between the paragraphs, I’m going to paste in between the lines here.

Press “Update” and that will bring you back to the edit screen, and if you did it right that will show the video. Just to make sure, press “Preview” and make sure it’s formatted how you want it to be.

thedevo01 asked “Can you use CSS and HTML formatting for the layout and themes on Tumblr?”

Absolutely. I’ve just told you in the last question how to edit the HTML for a single post, but if you want to edit the Theme itself, by go to the Customize screen and select Theme. Press the “Use Custom HTML” button.

That will bring up the source of the theme which you can edit. Press the “Theme Docs” button for additional info and documentation.

xxkatiekatsxx asked “how do you write on someone elses tumblr page?”

There’s actually a bunch of ways that you can write something on someone’s else’s Tumblr blog, but almost all of them require the person who owns the blog to change some kind of permission first. You’ll need to see if they’ve turned on any of the following Tumblr features:

Option #1 – Let people submit posts. This option means that someone other than the owner of a Tumblr blog can submit a post. The owner of the blog needs to check “Let people submit posts” in the Community menu on the Customize screen.

Then visitors can go to their url /submit to write a post.

The blog owner has to authorize the post before it shows up.

Option #2 – Allow people to comment on posts. Unlike most other blog platforms, there is no native commenting system in Tumblr. The owner of the Tumblr blog needs to set up a Disqus account by visiting disqus.com. Click “Sign up” and enter in your Tumblr URL and the name of your blog. The “Site shortname” is a unique identifier that’s our main concern in setting this up for Tumblr. It needs to be all one word, no spaces. If you don’t already have a Disqus account, you’ll also have to create an Administrator login underneath. Once you’ve gone past this screen, you can turn on any of Disqus’ optional features. I’ll just leave these at the default setting for now. Now back in the Customize screen of my Tumblr blog, I’ll need to go to the “Appearance” menu. Depending on what Theme you have set up, you may have to scroll to the bottom to get to this. My theme doesn’t have any options for this menu, so all I’ve got is a box to add my Disqus shortname. I’ll enter that and save it.

Now when I go back to my blog, I can see a place noting how my comments my posts have gotten. If I look at the post itself and scroll to the bottom, you can see the box where my readers can add comments.

Option #3 – Allow people to reply to posts. Replies are a fairly new and fairly obscure feature in Tumblr. In order to turn them on, the owner of the blog needs to check one of the available options in the Community menu on the Customize screen. Once these options are turned on, anyone who meets requirements can reply to posts from Dashboard.

This feature is only available in Dashboard and not from the blog itself. When you do submit your reply, it will appear in the notes of the post.

This entry was posted in Tutorials, Videos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

149 Comments

1. Cindy
    Posted June 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

i tried to copy a code to customize my tumblr, but my HTML will not show to add the code :( help please.

2. Cindy
    Posted June 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

i tried to copy a code to customize my tumblr, but my HTML will not show to add the code :( help please…. it seems as some have a problem as me

3. Wanderlusting todd
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

William….. question, probably stupid but…… when I try to add a theme, it will let me and my page looks different, but when I bring up my tumblr page again it looks the same. Does it always look the same to me but different to others? I’ve tried several times and it always ends up looking the way it did originally.
    Help, thanx, todd

4. Posted July 6, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

i was deleteing my old music player from my tumblr page and i must have deleted something i should because now on my page it desnt show the dashboard or customize buttons its just blank :/ what do i do

5. Posted July 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

i was taking my music player off my tumblr and i must have deleted something i shouldnt have because the dashnoard or customize button dont show up on my profile what do i do?

6. Amber
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Heey :)
    My blog wont let me follow anyone, every time i go to follow someone’s blog it doesn’t do anything.
    Please help :(
    #Desperate&Confused

7. Posted July 15, 2012 at 12:37 am | Permalink

i have like a html code for an elephant to walk right under my title, and when im editing its showing up , but when i save and reload its not there. I keep trying to save and open a new page but it wont show up. I have the narnia theme, and the elephant media works for another persons blog, HELLPPPPP.

8. Mata
    Posted July 22, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Why doesn’t my “dashboard” and “customize” button appear on the right of my blog?
    And, I think i messed up my HTML….

9. Posted July 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

So when I used to post a picture the first sentence that I typed in the comment box used to show up when it was sent to twitter, now all I get on Twitter is “Photo: and the link” it used to be “Photo: These are really awesome shoes, then the link”

are there any fixes for this?

10. Me
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 5:28 am | Permalink

On tumblr my page photos bunch together and overlap at the bottom of my page is there a way I can change that but still have the two columns displaying the photos that I want?

Is there anyway I can reblog a photo to a page on my blog or do I just have to download to my computer then upload it to the page?

And whats a CCS?

Sorry for all the questions,
    Thanks :)

11. Posted July 27, 2012 at 3:35 am | Permalink

my tumblr won’t let me ask questions, everytime i go to ask someone a question or send them something it comes up with ‘This feature is not available yet. Please check back in the future.’ it comes up everytime on all different peoples tumblrs, what do i do to fix it??????

12. Posted July 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

my tumblr picture wont show up in my theme:( what do i do?

13. Posted August 17, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Every time I try to go into someone else’s Ask Box, it logs me out, so I have no choice but to submit as Anon, which I HATE.
    Is there a reason it does that and is there a way to fix it?

14. Posted August 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

why arent all my blogs showing on my page?

15. panzi
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

There is a tumblr post that has replies but I don’t have a reply button in my dashboard. What could be the matter? I do follow that tumblr.

16. Christine
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

how come when i try to reblog a photo i does not show the whole picture?? it only shows half of it.

17. Posted August 27, 2012 at 8:18 am | Permalink

On my dashboard and on other people’s blogs, on certain photo and gifs sets it won’t show all the photos, some just appear grey. I’ve wiped all my cookies and everything like some people have told me to, but it’s still not working, do you know of anything else i could do?

18. kim
    Posted August 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

hi there

I am very new to Tumblr.

I have created seperate pages for things like ‘looks we like ‘ but I want them to show up on both the page as well as the main blog feed…how do i make this happen? I am very confused and am sure it is something easy?

Thanks
    KIm

19. Posted September 5, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

kay so im trying to get a different cursor on my blog, but how come my HTML wont let me paste in the box to write in? pleeeeaaseeeee answer me! if im too confusing just ask me what im trying to say :) thanks

20. Posted September 6, 2012 at 2:15 am | Permalink

hey! how do i get my tumblr title to be smaller because it overlaps with my hit counter, help would be greatly appreciated! thankyouuu

21. Juli
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

I tried saving some images I found on my Tumblr app. And it says image cant save. Why is that?

22. Posted September 9, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Mostly everytime I reblog things or make my own posts, these blue boxes appear at the bottom of it and won’t go away,. The boxes are simliar to the gif boxes, but when you click them it directs you to somewhere else connected to me. I’m not new to tumblr, but recently it’s been happening. Help please.

23. Posted September 11, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Tumblr wont let be post links in ask box how do you do this?

24. Jess
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 5:10 am | Permalink

Hi

I’m quite new to tumblr and i have a really annoying problem!
    I want to change my URL name but when i go to do it in account settings the save button won’t let me click it!! its so frustrating please help! thanks

25. Selena
    Posted September 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Hi. I’m on tumblr (countrygurl3396.tumblr.com) and I see people have those solid-color boxes with text in them as their posts, without the white box, etc. around it. How do I do that?
    here is an example site: http://teenagerposts.tumblr.com/

26. Posted October 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Hi
    I have a problem with my tumblr blog in that people can not find me on tumblr if they want to follow me. I have tryed typing in my url on a friend’s account and it just says that this tumblr blog does not exist. Do you have any solutions in how i could fix this, if so i would be really happy!!!
    Thanks

27. SC
    Posted October 18, 2012 at 3:51 am | Permalink

I recently made a photo post on Tumblr with some text underneath, but the problem is the text does not show up with the photo when someone reblogs it, so basically it only shows up on my site. How do I make it so that the text is reblogged with the photo, since it’s the most important part anyway (the photo was just meant to accompany it to make it more interesting)?

28. Posted October 20, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

on my blog…it wont let me scroll down…why is that..i havent added anything new to it to make it stop

29. Posted October 21, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

My photos keep showing up blank and not appearing. Also, my text posts aren’t working. It only lets me write in the TITLE or TAGS, but not in the actual post area. Help, please?

30. Maria
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

I have opened, (and closed), several new accounts in the last month all because of the same problem. None of them will let me TAG my photos. When I post something it will show up in my feed, but not on the pages it has been tagged to. At first I thought it was just something with my account, so I opened a brand new one and encountered the SAME problem. I have tried clearing my cache and even changing my IP with no success. Any ideas?

31. samantha
    Posted October 28, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

i have a background picked for my tumblr and its installed, but when i go to my own tumblr page it goes away and turns into a plain white background, how do i fix it? help me pleaseee

32. Lynn
    Posted October 28, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Hi. Hoping someone can help me, i’m new to Tumblr. I follow a blog that I would like to comment on. In the blog there is no place to hit comment or reply. I do have a Tumblr account but the only buttons I see are reblog and the heart. On the person’s blog page, it shows all sorts of notes so I know the owner allows replies. I tried the reblog and typed some comments and hit reblog post. when i looked on the actual blog my post looked nothing anyone else’s. it was in a weird place and it it was in a white block. what in the world did i do wrong? thanks

33. Taylah London
    Posted October 30, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

i changed my html to a differnt code and now my whole tumblr page comes up with random number and my customize button isnt there.. so i have no way of changing it! does anyone have any advice?! i really need BIG HELP!

34. Posted November 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

So i cant type anything into the tumblr login boxes, username and password? why cant i type anything ive cleared all cookies.

35. Posted November 9, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

when i go to the ‘customize’ button there doesn’t seem to be an ask.. i dont know if im even making any sence but bassicly i cant get my ask box to show on my blog!!

36. Something
    Posted November 17, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Hi, when I try to insert a photo HTML to answer a question the update button appears for about a second then just vanishes. Is there something wrong?

37. Chantal
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

i can send asks no problem, but when people answer them, sometimes the answer appears in my inbox, sometimes it doesnt, so i never know if someones answered or not…. any suggestions ? :)

38. Jordan
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Tumblr keeps telling me that some spambot sent me a message. What is a spambot? Also, it tells me that there is technical difficulties with reblogging, what can I do for that?

39. BELINDAA
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 9:05 am | Permalink

how to make other people can’t reblog my tumblr?

40. emma
    Posted January 6, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Okay, so all i want to do is just delete everything out of my ‘custom theme’ HTML box because that is where my old music player is and i think it has a virus or something in it i dont know. but i delete EVERYTHING thats in there and hit update and save or whatever and it says its gone but when i hit close and go back to my profile its all there and nothing changed. so i go back to edit and all the codes are still there and its like they never deleted. and i cant get rid of that music player! and the thing is the music player doesn’t even show up for anyone else but it shows up for me…? anyways PLEASE HELP.

41. Posted January 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

hellooo :)
    on my tumblr, i am trying to add a tab link thing haha?
    it says, my theme does not allow links. do i then need to get a new theme to put a tab/link on my tumblr ?

42. Posted January 18, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

how can i get my photos to a fixed width so it scales down it’s height automatically? so they lay down in there with no space between them?

i just want to make my layout simple like this one(http://thewhiteblogg.tumblr.com/) but changes i make with “Change Photo W Max” doesn’t seem to apply to my blog.

i got a very wide photo right there as you can see.

43. Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Basically, I installed a new theme, and all my pictures I reblogged before has disappeared, So i reblogged some more photos, and looked on my blog to see if it was still happening.. But it was.. i waited for ages to see if the photos would load up, but it only showed a certain amount of photos.. please help?

44. Vrae
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure if this was answered already, but when I try to submit any kind of post, whether it is a reblog or not, the dashboard gets a blue overlay, the page continues to “load”, but when it’s “done”, nothing more happens after that first overlay. I’m thinking it’s a network problem, as it only started about a week ago. Is there a way to bypass that, or is the overlay the actual post that never fully manifests itself?

45. Posted February 8, 2013 at 8:08 am | Permalink

I have a text post right now complete with the YouTube video embedded, using the new YouTube html. I can see the video in the post editor. Looks great. When I publish my post, there is no video. I also tried using the old YouTube code. Any ideas? Is it my theme that won’t allow the posting?

46. Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:43 am | Permalink

Ok, I was browsing the premium themes and I clicked on the one titled “shift” and hit “update preview”. So that was cool but I didn’t like that theme and decided not to buy it. Now it won’t let me pick another one! Its suck there and when I click customize and select a different theme, it never changes! Helllllp.

47. Posted February 15, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Only 15 pictures show up on my blog , can someone help me? It is in infinite scroll mode so idk

48. Nadiah Mohamad
    Posted February 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I have a problem here. Hope that you reply.
    It’s just I kept on changing my setting but it won’t save a thing.

49. Posted February 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

It seems when I try to change the HTML for my theme, above it where I change and customize my theme is gone and I can’t save the HTML, I don’t know what to do. Help?